Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 

September 24, 2017
IAFF Local Newswire
 
Join the Newswire!
Updated: Sep. 24 (10:59)

Pink T Shirts
Turlock Professional Firefighters
Hurricane Irma Survey
IAFF 1826
Commissioner Josh Blake Spends Day as Lake County Firefighter
IAFF Local 3990
Puerto Rico MDA
IAFF Local 51
Boston Firefighters Local 718 members at Mayor Walsh Stand out Neponset Circle.
Boston Fire Fighters
Local 21 Regrets To Announce The Passing Of Retired Deputy Chief Pete Pream
IAFF Local 21
 
     
UnionActive Newswire
 
Join the Newswire!
Updated: Sep. 24 (13:01)

CALL TO ACTION: Kentucky Pension Rally
Jefferson County Association of Educational Support Personnel
JCAESP/AFSCME Building Rep Training Session
Jefferson County Association of Educational Support Personnel
9/22/17 - PBC Bargaining Update
Communications Workers of America Local 3181
Upcoming Teamsters National Freight ABF Contract Negotiations-Proposals
Teamsters Local 492
Teamster UPS Screening Committees & Two-Person Review Scheduled
Teamsters Local 492
Gov Christie 200 Million Dollar Drug Initiative
New Jersey Law Enforcement Commanding Officers Association
 
     
Group 4 encounters late night fire
Updated On: Mar 29, 2017

WESTPORT — When the fire started and the smoke detector began to wail, the woman on Tickle Road had two reasons to thank the fire department. She could thank them for the warning as well as the help. A woman in her 70s called the fire department just after midnight Monday when smoke detectors alerted her to a fire that had broken out in a gas space heater at her home. Firefighters arrived, put out the flames, shut down the space heater and then called the gas company to repair and start a second gas space heater in the woman's home. With heat, the woman was able to stay in her home. The smoke detectors helped, Deputy Fire Chief Allen Manley said. Those came from the fire department, too. "She was one of our clients with the Westport Cares program," Manley said. "We had been at her house just a few weeks ago." The woman from Tickle Road is older and has limited mobility, Manley said. She came to the department's attention through the town's Council on Aging, which suggested firefighters check in on her. Firefighter Ann Marie Peckham runs the program. Firefighters will talk to residents about safety programs or do a home inspection if the resident wishes, Manley said. The department has smoke detectors to install, provided by the Red Cross. "We'll go out to any Westport residents, even if it is just for an evaluation and safety check," Manley said. Firefighters will help residents place smoke detectors and look for hazards such as spots where people might trip or hallways and stairways with poor lighting. "If someone needs something to be safe, we'll make sure they have it," Manley said. In Monday's fire, the newly installed smoke detectors raised an alarm before the fire was able to grow, confining the damage to the heating unit, Manley said. There was no structural damage to the woman's home. For more information, or to schedule a safety visit, call the department at 508-636-1110


 
 
Westport Fire Local1802
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

221641 hits since Dec 07, 2007
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image