Westport Fire Department
911 Main Rd
Westport, Ma 02790
Sta 1 Sta 2
911 Main Rd 85 Briggs Rd
Open Burning Season begins January 15th and ends May 1st.
Burning (with a permit) of the following materials is allowed:
- brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris from other than commercial or industrial land clearing for new non-agricultural purposes
- burning must be at least 75 feet from all dwellings
- burning must take place on land closest to the source of material to be burned
- materials normally associated with the pursuit of agriculture, such as fruit tree pruning, dead raspberry stalks, blueberry patches for pruning purposes, infected beehives for disease control
- trees and brush resulting from agricultural land clearing
- fungus infected elmwood if no other acceptable means of disposal is available (disease-free brush is not an acceptable starting aid)
- burning must be carried out between 10 AM and 4 PM
BURNING OF THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS IS PROHIBITED:
- brush, trees, cane and driftwood from commercial and/or industrial land clearing operations
- grass, hay leaves and stumps
Also prohibited is the stacking, placing or storing combustible material such that the Department of Environmental Protection may presume that it will be burned.
While burning, someone must attend the fire until it is completely extinguished. Have available a water supply, such as a pressurized water pump can or hose, shovels and rakes for controlling the fire.
To extinguish the fire, burn the fire down to coals and spread over the coals, snow, water, sand or soil.
All open burning must be conducted during periods of good atmospheric ventilation WITHOUT CAUSING A NUISANCE.
Whoever violates any provisions of Chapter 48, Sec 13 shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one month or both.
You must contact the Fire Department each day you wish to burn and request permission to do so. It atmospheric conditions are not proper, permission will be denied.
When calling the Fire Department for permission to burn, you must call between 8AM and 12 noon. You must give your permit number, name and location where the burning is taking place.
NO PERMITS ARE GIVEN OUT AFTER 12 NOON